Intelligent, DCC, Solid State Circuit Breakers with Integrated Block Detection and Feed Back
The PSXX is designed to specifically handle low power starter systems:
- NCE Power Cab
- Digitrax Zephyr
The Power Shield XX series is a product of years of research into problems dealing with false overload that cause premature shut down of DCC Boosters and other Circuit Breakers. These false overloads are caused by large capacitors used in sound systems decoders or lighted passenger cars. The overload appears as a short circuit until the capacitors are charged. The logic on the new Power Shield X Series determines if the load is a true short or just an overload due to discharged capacitor.
PSXX-1 One Output, PSXX-2 Two Outputs*, PSXX-3 Three Outputs*
*The PSX circuit boards are scribed and milled so you can separate a PSXX3 into three individual PSXX boards if necessary.
- Advanced Circuit Design limits current to selected current value before circuit opens regardless of severity of fault
- Current Limiting will charge sound decoders without exceeding booster current capability
- Default Current Limit/Trip Current 2 amperes will work correctly for most layouts.
- Select Trip current values 1 – 10 in integer steps (1, 2, 3, …., 10) using CV 49
- Jumper Select Current limits of 1, 2, 3, or 4 amperes
- PSXX circuit boards are perforated with score lines so you can physically separate and divide PSXX-2,&PSXX-3 into individual PSXX-1 units if needed.
- Power On/Off by DCC: Turn on/off output track power with your DCC Throttle!
- Manual or Automatic Reset: Automatic reset: Breaker tries to reset every 2 seconds. Manual reset: Once the breaker trips, it remains off, ensuring complete isolation of the faulty block. The breaker is reset either by a switch or by a DCC command.
- All Solid State Operation: Fast, solid state design with reliable quiet action.
- Adaptive Load Reset: Electronically determines if the overload is a real short or due to excess capacitance in sound decoders or lighted passenger cars.
- Auto Stop with DCC Reset: A photocell can be connected to a PSXX input. Normally, covering the photocell will not cause any action. If the photocell is armed with a DCC command, the PSXX will turn off the next time the photocell is covered. A DCC command can restore the track power when desired.
- Photo Cell Controlled Block Power Off: Stop position control and occupancy detection for hidden tracks.
- Block Detection: Either a photo cell or block current draw can be used to detect a train in a block and to trigger a Block Occupied output. The current trigger level is programmable.
- Block Occupied Trip point can be automatically set to compensate for current flow in unoccupied block
- Very Low Voltage Drop: Total breaker on resistance is less than 0.060 ohms, so the PSXX has a very low voltage drop even at high currents. Better than detectors that use a diode voltage drop.
- Programmable Power Up Status: When power is applied to the layout, the PSXX can be set to always turn on, always remain off , or to use the power status present when the layout was last shut down.
- Outputs for LED Indicators: Remote LEDs can be added to monitor the input/output power and the status.
- Network Feedback: Isolated outputs designed to provide Block Occupied, Block Shorted, and Power Status to a discrete interface for remote display or computer control. Will work with Digitrax LocoNet, NCE Cab Bus, ESU ECoS, and Lenz XpressNet interfaces.
- System Reset: CV63=42 sets all CVs and addresses to original factory values.
- Output for Audio Alert: An audible sounder can be added to the PSXX to provide an audible alert if there is a short.
- No Power Supply Needed: The PSXX uses the track DCC power to supply its operating power. Each PSXX draws less than 0.04 amperes.
- Easy to Install: With 4 mounting holes sized for a #6 screw.
- Flash Programmable: The PSXX firmware can be updated by Tony’s Train Exchange as new features become available or if older units need to be matched to a recent purchase.
- Discrete Input allows on/off control of track voltage for yard or other track section isolation. Compatible with any system that has a relay or isolated transistor control output including LCC, WiFi, etc. or can be used with manual toggle switch.
- 4 Indicator LEDs: Booster power (green), Block power (green), Block shorted (red), Block current limiting (blue)
- +5V and Ground Outputs for powering LEDs, no resistors needed
- Power On Status can be on, off (yard or staging sections), or status at power down.
- DCC Accessory command control on any Accessory address 1 – 2042.